<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

OS-tan 

On the ninth anniversary of the release of Windows 95 and the day I installed WinXP Service Pack 2, I encounter quite possibly the weirdest thing I've ever seen, something that appears to be an anime-loving computer geek's wet dream:

A small Internet phenomenon on Futaba Channel, the OS-tan (OS for Operating System, and -tan as an overly cute Japanese honorific for a person, specifically a child slurring '-chan') or simply OS Girls are the personification of several OSes, most famously Windows, by various amateur Japanese artists. A pure fan creation, the appearance of each character is generally consistent among artists. OSes are almost always portrayed as women, the Windows girls usually as sisters, despite sometimes seeming the same age.

Although I suppose something like this would make a much better addition to the user interface than that godawful paperclip.

A personal note: it's the last week of my co-op work term and things are just insane, with much frustration as I try to wrap things up. Futility factor is high and blogging enthusiasm is low. The next week will be spent with my parents on a much-needed break before the start of school. Blogging during this week will be intermittent at best, and probably nonexistent during the next week. Things should be up to speed again in a fortnight, as I return to UBC to battle collectivists and peaceniks in their breeding grounds.
Comments: Post a Comment