<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 16, 2004

How Popular Are Wraps? 

On ATB, Marni Soupcoff thinks finds the idea that the AIDS epidemic having positive effects for women's rights to be "weird", to say the least. While I share some of that unease, I don't think it's all that bizarre: epidemics, from the Black Death to the Spanish Flu, have major social and cultural effects. Some of those effects can be positive, as macabre as the notion may seem.

What I do want to point out, however, is this line from the AP article:
Condoms are the cornerstone of prevention strategies, but are proving an unrealistic option for many women, who often don't have the power to insist their lovers wear them.

(Emphasis mine)
Here's what I wrote at the beginning of the week:
Honestly, I find the decision of abstinence seems to be the more easily controllable one: either party can refuse to have sex, but putting on the wrapper seems to be the at the whim of the one with something to wrap.

(Emphasis not in original)
As I wrote already, I'm not against the CNN ("Condoms-Needles-Negotiations") method, but demonizing ABC ("Abstinence-Being Faithful-Condoms") as part of the VRWC is disingenious and ignores some pretty common sense notions.
Comments: Post a Comment