<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Ennui 

I think I'm on a bit of blogging burnout recently. There's a lot of stuff I wanna get on the record, but I never feel the incentive to start typing.

Apologies if blogging becomes intermittent in the next few days, or if the posts seem totally irrelevant to what's happening in the world (i.e. no Kerry/Edwards commentary, no Iraqi martial law commentary, etc.)

I don't think I'll actually stop writing as much as I'll start ramble about nonsense. Hopefully that will prevent the audience from drifting too far.

For your reading pleasure, my most recent Shotgun post (yesterday) was my take on the swing to the left in the recently concluded election. Enjoy!
A Leftist Tide?

I've been meaning to write this for a while, and I've put it off for too long. Diane Francis wrote about it (to an extent) in today's Financial Post, so I think it's time to get this all in writing. To make this simple, I'll use point form:

Let me take a few wild swings at what the numbers mean: In summation: a fundamental leftward shift in the electorate, even more dramatic than the leftward shift of the parties themselves. The Conservatives tried hard to moderate themselves, and the Liberals were busy stamping down the fiscal prudence of Martin's finance minister days, and the net vote movement was still towards the NDP and Greens. Now, there's no denying the achievement of the Conservative Party and Stephen Harper during this short period of time, creating a viable national governing party that brought what seemed an inevitable Liberal majority down to a minority. But it seems not so much a giant leap forward as merely fortifying against a leftist tide.

Or maybe I'm just excessively pessimistic? Feel free to share your thoughts.

(2000 election results are here, 2004 are here)
Comments: Post a Comment