<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 25, 2004

Kids These Days 

Is this the future of our country? (via Neale)
Avnish Nanda, a 15-year-old from Edmonton, says he sees the American government as neither totally good nor totally bad.

"When George (W.) Bush came into power, he was a real force of evil, getting into a war people say was about oil," Nanda says. "But all over the world, America gives aid to countries whether they deserve it or not, and that's really good for people."
First off, I'm not sure which war he's talking about, since I can recall the peaceniks claiming some sort of secret pipeline plan in Afghanistan, so I won't assume which is which. But I will say that keeping a bunch of burqa loving, mass grave filling, limbs chopping fanatics away from global oil resources isn't exactly what I'd call "evil". And that's with the assumption that this is about oil. I haven't even gotten to all the non-oil reasons yet, and I'm not going to bother repeating them again.

But what got me was the "whether they deserve it or not" line. Who cares if the money goes into paying for a self-detonating kleptocracy like the Palestinian Authority, or Egyptians shipping weapons underground into Gaza? It doesn't matter: aid for everyone! 'Cuz, you know, it's not being pocketed in Swiss bank accounts or anything like that. Heck, if it wasn't for invading Iraq, we could be part of that whole oil-for-food thing too. Wasn't that great?

And, evidently, this is the moderate guy.

Next time I hear someone say that young people need to be more involved in politics, I'll need to bash something.
Comments: Post a Comment