<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 24, 2004

And Here's The Pitch 

Stephen Harper made the ceremonial first pitch a couple of days ago at the Jays game at Skydome. I was thinking that it was pretty gutsy for Stephen to venture right into the heart of the former Liberal bastion and now possible NDP redoubt. Some in the audience were booing (how classy), but the overall reception was positive. I didn't think much about it, though.

Then I read Adam Daifallah's blog, where Alan of Occam's Carbuncle commented the following:
Images like this actually have an effect on election outcomes (however sad that may be). This was the sort of risk the Conservatives needed to take to regain the momentum. Congratulations to whoever was behind it. Thank God Harper doesn't throw like a girl.
If Alan is serious, then I really think I should stop having any faith in the democratic system. Ah well, not like there's anything better in the market.

But on a related but separate note, turns out those boos were (at least partially) yet another dirty Liberal campaign strategy. How the Globe and Mail can endorse these guys, knowing all too well their rather, um, flexible interpretation of decency and honesty, is beyond me.

And oh, in case you scroll further down the Globe story: I'm a Beyoncé fan and I'm voting Conservative. But then I'm above the age range of the survey sample. Not by much, mind you, but it makes me feel like such an old fart.
Comments:
I was serious. 'Cause it's true. Human nature being what it is, we aren't immune to images. That's why all the ugly Liberal pictures hav had an effect.
 
Yah I figured that you meant it when you wrote that.

As I said, faith dropping, but yah, that's the way things are.

I agree that images stick. Sometimes taking the high road and not running demagoguery-loaded ads can be immensely frustrating.
 
Post a Comment